This seat marks one of the final steps in this build. I recently got all the parts back from PC. My tank will be done soon. I finished wiring the bike last night and everything is working! Haven’t tried to run it yet, need to do a little more buttoning up first. But I’m very, very close!
I’m VERY excited about this build.
My second attempt at making my first seat was a bit more successful. But I’m not satisfied yet…
It has been a waiting game for parts to arrive. The big bore kit came in, then the new intake valve, so I went to get the head done and the exhaust valve was worn out too so I ordered one and it finally got here. Dropped it all off at the shop to do a valve job including new valves, HD springs, and new valve seal (yes only one…for some reason they designed it that way). Still waiting to get the head back. Then I’ll put it all back together and finish up the motor mounts. In the mean time I polished up the case and will eventually remove the clutch side cover to polish it too. The whole motor will be polished aluminum. Not great pictures and I didn’t get it to be like a perfect mirror, but you can definitely see your reflection in it. Good enough for me 🙂
The rotor puller came in the mail too finally so I’ll pop that off to clean up and inspect the points and advance unit etc.
So for the gas tank, I wanted to do something creative and fun. So I went for the admittedly not original Japanese rising sun design. I’ve never had a bike with it before so it’s new to me! Took some work, sanded to bare metal, bondo on some inperfections, primer/ sand then white base coat, wait a week, sand and one more white coat, wait a week, sand and tape off and red sun coat, wait a week, sand and clear coat. Tada!
To anyone wanting to do good paint jobs. There is no shame in using rattle can if you get quality gas/ oil resistant engine enamel. MOST important is respect the dry times and prep prep prep! The finished product will be smooth and clear and very durable!
She is complete! I’ve been riding her daily for about a month now problem free. Finally got it timed and tuned to perfection, adjusted the valves, fresh oil and she is ready to roll. To recap this build: XS650 front end conversion with rebuilt forks and heavy weight oil, piggy back rear shocks, new tires, brake pads/ shoes, frame and swingarm painted red, flawless polished aluminium gas tank, low rise flat tracker handlebars, over sized TT500 round slide carb, SuperTrapp exhaust, new chain and sprockets, rewired with no battery so the lights run off the magneto (like 4 wires on the whole bike!), 100% custom seat pan/ upholstery, plus a lot I can’t recall right now…
She starts first kick every time and runs like nothing I’ve every had before…Truly an inspiring bike to ride! I’ve always ran ethanol free in her too.
Picked up this XT500 a few weeks ago not running and title-less in Tulsa for a reasonable price. Great start to a fantastic build I’d say!
I stripped it down to the frame, cleaned (or replaced) every nut and bolt, and painted everything a new color.
Bought some new parts, chain, sprockets, brakes, fork seals, gaskets, headlight and tail lights, air filter, bla bla bla.
As of now, I have the motor re-installed, and it is time to reassemble!
That’s what I’ve got so far, today I’m focusing on rebuilding the front forks, polishing the fork boots, cleaning, painting, and mounting the front wheel. pics will ensue.