I finally got the RIGHT sized fork seals in yesterday so I immediately installed them and went on a 45 minute ride. It was wonderful and PIP is very happy that I gave her some love.
Sheesh these forks were deceivingly difficult to disassemble! Mostly because every bolt and spring was seized and every seal blown…
First I took stock of what I needed, fork oil, seals, new spring boots (gators), and a marked cylinder were the basics.
Then once i knew I was prepared, disassembly began!
While I have the tire off, mind as well balance it and clean it up!
This looks funny…
little…a LOT of elbow grease, ultrasonic cleaning, and effort, all the parts are ready for reassembly.
OH NO! The fork seals I ordered aren’t the right size! But the eBay listing said it was for my bike…shoot. I called them and they’re sending me the correct ones. I hope they arrive soon because I don’t like leaving little pip propped up in the middle of the shop forever…Until next time…
So I decided it was time to give my daily rider little pip some much needed attention. For starters, the seat needed better padding and nicer upholstery. Since I am about to be doing the CB750 seat, I figured it would be good to get some practice on the 125 to see if I can make a seat nice enough for the 750.
Step one was to cut up and stitch a new seat cover. Unfortunately I forgot to take good photos of the process, but after several hours on my mom’s sewing machine I managed to cook this up.
This was my first attempt but it turned out half decent, I’m pleased. I think my next shot for the CB750 will look very passable. So after I finished sewing that I just cut out and glued some neoprene to the seat pan. I then glued a layer of soft, thin foam on top of that for extra comfort and to keep the pleats puffy. Here is the finished product after I riveted the cover on and re-installed it to the bike. Note that I am still using the aluminum street sign seat pan I made for it originally!
I’m going to document the CB750 seat upholstery job much better I hope. Next I am going to rebuild the front forks on this little guy!
This one will be short. A few years ago I traded into a 74 CB125s for my ex-girlfriend. It was a little rough, hadn’t been ridden much at all with only 2,500 original miles on it.
This bike was actually my first build, I cleaned the carburetor and did the basic tuning, had Jonathan help me with the valve adjustment and timing since I didn’t have any tools back then. Gave it my first paint job attempt, and vuala!
It needed a bit more foam in the seat…I believe I made the seat pan from part of a traffic sign and stuffed cotton balls in the upholstery for “comfort”…ha..ha.
After I finished it my girlfriend (at the time) let it rot in her garage for over 2 years. Meanwhile, we had broken up and I almost forgot about that poor little bike…UNTIL one day she gave me a call and offered the bike to me. I was SO pleased to get it back! Of course, time was not nice, and the gas rotted through the tank and made about 500 pin holes in it, staining the motor with the dark brown goo that came out of the deceased petcock… But I ordered a new tank, gave the whole thing a better paint job, cleaned it for hours and did the basic work. Next thing you know I’ve got this little PIP as my putt putt for around town.
Did some updates to it like replacing the crazy out-of-date twist throttle that just worked horribly with a CR250 throttle tube/ cable. Now it’s only a 1/4 cable so it feels even zippier! Also geared up the front sprocket one so instead of top cruising at 50 it’ll sit around 55 happily all day. Gotta love PIP, I don’t plan on selling it anytime soon.