Today I got the seat frame fabricated.
It is a pretty high stance, I’m 5’10” and can’t really flat foot, but that’s on the center stand, it will probably come down to a nice height when it is rolling (or maybe I’ll just have to sell it to a tall dude/ dudette!). I like the look of the re-bar. I think I may keep it raw, and keep the tank the stock blue. It already says Yamaha on it so I’m all set! Now I need to get my 18G sheet metal out and fab up the tail piece/ make a new bottom side for the gas tank. Then I’ll get the seat pan ready for foam and upholstery.
Hopefully the steering and wheel bearings will be here early next week… I really want to see it with the new front end.
So just a few hours after hearing this puppy run and taking the initial “pre-build” pics. I’ve got it stripped down to what is staying.
I know, not a lot left! Don’t worry, some new things will be going on instead. Here is the scrap pile that is getting junked tomorrow. I’d say it is about 50% of the bike haha.
Actually the mufflers I’ll be selling on eBay, they’re like new. And the carbs are getting sold to purchase a VM34 round slide to do a single carb swap with. Gonna hopefully be sweet and simple! Okay that’s it for tonight…bed time. Tomorrow I go get new bearings for the front end swap and front wheel. I probably won’t have the front end mounted and done tomorrow because there is always complications but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Stay posted!
Man this weather has been killing me! I can’t get a lick o’ work done when it is 2 degrees outside and in my shop! We’ve been having snow and ice storms and have more coming down the pike. So I haven’t had much to share on here. But since my sewing machine is in the house I have been practicing with it. I re-did the rising sun seat for the XS750 a 3rd time! And this one I am actually proud of! This is the best pic of it for now…
Also did my first commissioned seat. Which turned out very nicely I must say. Granted it was like the most simple seat pan ever. It is just part of a cafe style seat.
I’m also working on a chair for my step dad, which I’ll post later, and someone shipped me an old stock seat for their triumph that I’m doing right now. First time working with a stock pan and foam…it is HARD! But coming along nicely. Just need to form it to the seat now.
That was the second attempt at the cover…the first was a big lesson! I’m learning tons with each seat I love it so much!
So for the gas tank, I wanted to do something creative and fun. So I went for the admittedly not original Japanese rising sun design. I’ve never had a bike with it before so it’s new to me! Took some work, sanded to bare metal, bondo on some inperfections, primer/ sand then white base coat, wait a week, sand and one more white coat, wait a week, sand and tape off and red sun coat, wait a week, sand and clear coat. Tada!
To anyone wanting to do good paint jobs. There is no shame in using rattle can if you get quality gas/ oil resistant engine enamel. MOST important is respect the dry times and prep prep prep! The finished product will be smooth and clear and very durable!