This seat marks one of the final steps in this build. I recently got all the parts back from PC. My tank will be done soon. I finished wiring the bike last night and everything is working! Haven’t tried to run it yet, need to do a little more buttoning up first. But I’m very, very close!
I’m VERY excited about this build.
So this took all day. I had to choose between painting the front black, and re-painting the rear black (because it looked faded) or stripping the rear to bare metal and match the front. The latter sounded easier…Maybe not the case! But there were several reasons for this. The bike doesn’t have much black on it, which is not something I do often, and I love that about it. I don’t want to go blackening up! The only black on this bike will be the frame. All else is raw metal except for the blue tank. Also, bare metal is more durable than paint! And easy to clean. So here we go.
I was just starting to clean it here. Once I cleaned it I painted it with some HARD FU**ING CORE paint stripper. And then scrubbed with a firm tooth brush. Then power washed it. Rinse repeat about 5 times and vuala!
There is a little shield for the final drive gear (you can see in the un-stripped picture) that I still have to paint and re-install. So it will look better when that’s done, and it is mounted so you won’t see that center part.
But it came out looking like new! Here they are together.
If you look close you can tell they aren’t matching spoke patterns. The one flat on the ground is the stock rear. The one leaning up with the front disk is from a Yamaha 600 Radian. It was the only front wheel I could find that had similar spoke pattern AND was the same dimensions as the rear wheel. Since I want matching tires. Now I just have to fab spacers and a caliper bracket and I’ll have a rolling and stopping machine!
I have officially adopted my newest build into the family. Her name is Mayonaka (“Midnight” in Japanese), or Maya for short. Here are my two beautiful kids playing in the yard together.
Hack weld hack weld hack weld. Repeat.
I’m getting sick of waiting for all the new bearings to come in for the front end swap on this dude so I got a tank out and started to whack it down to fit. Here is a rough up.
Next of course is to come up with a tail piece so the tank doesn’t look like it is floating there. And to have a place to sit…I suppose. Hack weld hack weld hack weld. I went and got some re-bar to make the tail piece from. I think it will create a unique, rough-cut look while being very sturdy and functional. So far I’ve only got a piece of it chopped up…
I know, it doesn’t look like much at all. But I have something cooking in the ole noggin and I hope it will materialize half as well as it looks in my head! Gotta start thinking colors…Or leave it raw? hmmmmm I think this bike may be a “rat V”
Man this weather has been killing me! I can’t get a lick o’ work done when it is 2 degrees outside and in my shop! We’ve been having snow and ice storms and have more coming down the pike. So I haven’t had much to share on here. But since my sewing machine is in the house I have been practicing with it. I re-did the rising sun seat for the XS750 a 3rd time! And this one I am actually proud of! This is the best pic of it for now…
Also did my first commissioned seat. Which turned out very nicely I must say. Granted it was like the most simple seat pan ever. It is just part of a cafe style seat.
I’m also working on a chair for my step dad, which I’ll post later, and someone shipped me an old stock seat for their triumph that I’m doing right now. First time working with a stock pan and foam…it is HARD! But coming along nicely. Just need to form it to the seat now.
That was the second attempt at the cover…the first was a big lesson! I’m learning tons with each seat I love it so much!