The CB400f is OFFICIALLY FINISHED! I finally got the new tires on and finished tuning this puppy. She screams! I don’t even want to sell it…but that’s part of the job. So here is the finished product:
Wait how’d you get in there Jazz?!?
Due to finals and the end-of-school celebrations that surround them I haven’t been as productive in the shop as I would normally be. So here are some of the little things I did between games of darts and frisbee.
Got all my electrical components on the bike, just need to wire it all together now. What you see here will all be cleaned up and hidden under the tank of course.
This here is my battery bracket all welded together. There are two bolts welded on for the regulator rectifier.
And after, with the RR mounted.
I need to put up “NO BROWN RECLUSES” signs up because they aren’t getting the message…
The other important wiring part that finally came in the mail was the headlight. It’s just a little 3.5″ bottom mount. This will be my first without side mounts that clamp to the forks. Here you can see the bracket I cut out and painted to mount the headlight where I wanted it. I think it turned out how I intended.
Finally my motorcycle has a face!
Last thing I did this weekend was get some foot pegs in place. I was unsure of what it was going to take, but then lucked out with a pair of passenger pegs from a ninja 250 that just happened to mount up wonderfully!
I just love when things work out like this.
So that’s all on this bike for now! this next week will be pretty crazy too before I’m completely done with school for the summer. But wow, when I am free and clear I’ll be able to really make some headway on ALL my projects!
So I changed my plans yet again on the gas tank…I ended up going back to the original tank after all that humming and hawing. Kevin took it yesterday for paint. He is going to mix dark blue with gold to make a deep metallic green. It sounds amazing and I hope it turns out well! I won’t see it for at least 2 weeks, which is fine because that will give me time to do the wiring.
Here is the gas tank that is being painted right now…sweet flames!
Today the CB750 rolled on its own! I finally got the CORRECT chain and sprockets so I was able to put the rear wheel together and mount it for good. I also loaded the front forks with 8oz of fork oil (4oz 10W and 4oz 15W) and finished bolting the front wheel on. Got a speedo hooked up and she’s really coming together!
Well…still might look kinda bare…
check back soon! I’m going to be building the battery box and wiring next, as well as the seat pan.
So as of today my virago looks very different. How long does it take you to see the change?
Yup you got it, the headlight is now round. The rectangle one was too much trouble, it used cheap bulbs that didn’t last worth crap and they were hard to source whenever they did blow. So I did a swap with a more conventional bucket light and it changed the whole bike’s look in my opinion. I like it, anyone have an opinion?
Finally got a useful vehicle. My vehicle history consists of a whole bunch of useless 2 seaters and non-motorcycle-holding rides:
93 Honda civic
95 Mazda miata
89 VW rabbit
92 Toyota MR2 (used a trailer with this to get motorcycles…)
89 Honda accord (trailer with this too)
90 Mazda miata
91 Honda prelude
I was kinda wanting a miata again but then something clicked and I realized if I play my cards right, I could spend the same amount of money on a truck that gets the same 26 mpg! So that’s exactly what I did.
It’s a flatbed! I love it, a 93 toyota 22re pickup with a flat bed conversion so I can fit 3+ motorcycles on it. SO PRODUCTIVE! In the first two days with my new truck I had already bought two new bikes. an old xs650 (I now have 2 in the shop) and an XT200 (which i think I’m about to sell because I really didn’t need it…I have a problem!)