This seat marks one of the final steps in this build. I recently got all the parts back from PC. My tank will be done soon. I finished wiring the bike last night and everything is working! Haven’t tried to run it yet, need to do a little more buttoning up first. But I’m very, very close!
I’m VERY excited about this build.
Bearings came in for the steering today! So begins the mounting and shortening of the forks.
Well that was easy!…really, it was. I just tapped the races into the neck, greased the bearings and tightened it all together.
Something looks weird…right? Yup! Those forks are way to long! So lets do something about that.
Is this a sub-machine gun with suppressor attached? Or a B**A** electric impact with a huge socket!? You be the judge…
The poor end caps were so beat up from some previous owner trying to pull these apart clearly using vice grips…If you’re going to DIY a project…have the right tools! Or else pay someone else who does. Don’t ruin your bike trying to tear it apart…sheeeeesh #rantover
above are the guts of this particular, outdated inverted fork. I say outdated only because it is from a 90-95 RM125 so it is some of the first inverted forks made. They’re still great forks, just not so much to work on! Below are just some of the annoying things I had to be sure to put back properly. Of course this was only necessary because I am shortening them, I wouldn’t have to do so much if I were just replacing the seals.
So I got some 1/2″ PVC and cut it down, pulled the spring and cartridge apart and popped the PVC spacer onto the main rod inside the cartridge. Essentially I made the forks unable to fully extend. So they’re now utilizing the last 5″ of their original travel instead of the full 11″ or so. As long as this virago doesn’t do any hard core trail riding the travel I left will be MORE than enough. Reassembly was painless. Fresh oil in them, and mounted up with the new length!
This picture can be deceiving. The front wheel is sitting about 8″ off the concrete, being supported by a 2×4 and a stacked motorcycle ramp. The rear wheel is hovering just over an inch off the ground. So the bike looks tall and with an odd stance in the pic. I just ordered a set of matching fat enduro tires which should help complete the look, once I mount the front tire, I can roll it around and see how it will really look/ feel. But for now…starting to look like a motorbike again!
I know I’ve been slow here the past few weeks. Mostly waiting on parts. I got the new 17″ rim, sent off for the custom spokes and they just arrived yesterday. I immediately assembled the front end. First I loosely lace the wheel, then put it on the truing stand to square it up.
Big difference from the 12″ rim!
With the front end all assembled we have this!
Super excited to be running inverted forks on this bike. Also to have the disk front brake and soon-to-be clipons. Next step is to get really creative to make the steering stem on the new triple fit the original neck and bearings…I will post what I do, it may get a little hairy!