Got the jets in today, sets of 105, 110, 115, 120, and 140. Stock is 102 and my last CB750 ran great with 120’s so I’m gonna try them first and maybe go to 115’s if I need.
One at a time…
Got the carbs on the bike, now for the sweet K&N filters.
Tada! Tomorrow I’ll go get a fuel filter and drain the vinegar from the tank (keeps the rust out). Hopefully she’ll fire right up!
Well there isn’t much left for me to do on this bike (hopefully!). So today I just made some final touches in preparation for the first startup. I routed the choke cable.
Put these crank case breathers on.
Lastly I replaced the cheap plastic headlight I got with a very nice metal one using a real H4 bulb instead of the first one I got that used some weird stupid dim/ hard to find sealed bulb. Plus this one looks a bit better.
Sure enough, as I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago, the pulser was not functioning properly. I just replaced it with another one I had on hand and got some nice fat blue spark! I’m very excited for the jets to come in tomorrow so I can finally fire this puppy up!
“The only laws are paradox, humor, and change.”
I finally got the RIGHT sized fork seals in yesterday so I immediately installed them and went on a 45 minute ride. It was wonderful and PIP is very happy that I gave her some love.
Time to upholster! Lets see if my second attempt is any better (the first being on little pip, my cb125s)
First step is to cut a whole bunch of evenly sized pleats. I use marine grade vinyl only, and DOUBLE STITCH everything.
then I pinned and sewed each pleat together…very time consuming.
Now this was an experiment, I wanted to get the side done with one single piece. Luckily I bought a 54″ long sheet of vinyl, because that’s exactly how long it needed to be! I had no idea if this was going to work…but only one way to find out. Here I pinned it all around.
I stitched it up and it turned out just swell! I ended up cutting some really soft foam and glueing it between the pleats to puff them up a bit. once they cured I just riveted the upholstery to the pan and vuala! I got excited and forgot to take pictures of me riveting…oops.
Worked out though.
Finally I mounted it up to the bike and I’m very pleased!! I like this upholstery thing, it’s pretty fun stuff. Took me all day, but I’ll get quicker, and better as I do it more. This is only my second go at it.
Hope my jets will be in tomorrow…then I can finally make this thing run!
Here is what it took for me to make the foam part of the seat.
I painted the seat pan:
Then I cut and shaped the 1″ firm foam for a base layer. Notice in the center I cut a “v” in the foam and glued it together so it would make the sharp curve and hold in place.
Once that layer cured, I glued a second, softer 1″ layer on top of that, for comfort and to make the seat the desired height. It took lots of delicate angle grinding and shaping to get it just right.
At this point I haven’t decided if I’ll do a fluff layer on top for the pleats. I may just glue strips to the underside of the upholstery and see how that works…but we’ll see.
Rough fit on the bike, just to get an idea. And below you can see the tail light I also installed last night.
Now it’s really taking shape! I have on order 20 new main jets so I can tune the carbs perfectly. Stock main is a #102, I ordered sets of #105, #110, #115, #120, and #140. I’m pretty sure #120 will be the right one but every bike is different. When they come in we’ll see if she runs!
I’m going to my mom’s now to start upholstery.
Sheesh these forks were deceivingly difficult to disassemble! Mostly because every bolt and spring was seized and every seal blown…
First I took stock of what I needed, fork oil, seals, new spring boots (gators), and a marked cylinder were the basics.
Then once i knew I was prepared, disassembly began!
While I have the tire off, mind as well balance it and clean it up!
This looks funny…
little…a LOT of elbow grease, ultrasonic cleaning, and effort, all the parts are ready for reassembly.
OH NO! The fork seals I ordered aren’t the right size! But the eBay listing said it was for my bike…shoot. I called them and they’re sending me the correct ones. I hope they arrive soon because I don’t like leaving little pip propped up in the middle of the shop forever…Until next time…