I have officially adopted my newest build into the family. Her name is Mayonaka (“Midnight” in Japanese), or Maya for short. Here are my two beautiful kids playing in the yard together.
I was so happy to see that with a little gas my ninjette fired to life without even needing choke! Everything is working properly, 14.5v charging, all lights, electric start, it is perfect! I didn’t have the baffle in on this video so it should sound better soon. Although I was amazed at how not loud it was with the straight pipe. I honestly don’t think I’ll even need to jet it, but only riding will tell.
…Like my IV? Pretty proud of it 🙂
Well the Ninja has just a smidgen of work left before it can be my daily! I snapped a few preliminary shots of it because I am too excited to keep it hidden in my shop. From day one this build has taken me just shy of two months (if you don’t count the 2 weeks I was out of town). So it is one of my quickest frame up builds!
Left to do: grips and K&N air filter are in the mail, they need installed. Then I can start the tuning process which will take some time and frustration I’m sure. But VERY soon this bike will be 100% and I’ll be sure to take some classy pics of it ASAP.
I know I know…I did a horrible job updating this build. It went from nothing to done in 2 posts. I’m still not set up with an adequate camera situation. My GoPro isn’t good for it without a screen and poor low light quality. So I need to find a little powershot or something. This IS a priority!
I finally got around to upholstering the solo seat for the Ninja. I had procrastinated on it as long as possible because I knew it would be hard! Since the tank is coming back from paint tomorrow I was forced to get everything else in line so I spent a few hours and it wasn’t as painfully difficult as I had expected. Here is the final product. Painted/ finished pics to come!
So my first seat was really uninspiring and dragging down my whole mojo for this build. So I got my pan plastic out and started to cut. Came up with a better design (I think) that flowed onto the tank a bit. With one layer of 1/2″ neoprene it still wasn’t putting a smile on my face…So I began to pile foam on foam on foam, then took my angle grinder out (over kill much?) and began torturing the seat until it conformed to my booty like a glove. I’m happy with this final product, I can’t wait to try to upholster it!
Geeez I’ve been horrible about updating this thing. Right now I’m prepping the tank for paint…but more on that soon!
I got the battery box (hidden under the tank nicely) and little perforated trim pieces welded on the Ninja finally. I am going to take some thin steel round stock and finish up the trim, then I can paint the frame back to black. I’ve decided to paint the tank and swing arm a very dark purple or blue. So my next job is to prep the tank…which is going to take a lot of work.
So I realize it has been awhile since I started a fresh build. I’m still plowing through the details and on my RD60 (120) build so make sure to keep updated with that. But this Ninja is going to be something very special for me. I’m going to take what I just picked up, a 100% original non-running 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ex250 from scrap, and make it into the first of its kind.
Here is what I am starting with.
Cosmetically it is actually quite nice, almost too nice to alter…but not quite 🙂 So I JUST got this puppy, and immediately tore it down. Found this PERFECT KZ650 tank that fits right up, chopped the sub frame mostly off, and am starting to get an image in my head of what I want to do with this. For now, here is what I have…not much to look at!
So I’ll be gone for a bit, but as SOON as I return you’ll know because I’ll be kicking ass on this little bike.