This seat marks one of the final steps in this build. I recently got all the parts back from PC. My tank will be done soon. I finished wiring the bike last night and everything is working! Haven’t tried to run it yet, need to do a little more buttoning up first. But I’m very, very close!
I’m VERY excited about this build.
I finally took some time to look closely at the gas tank and see what all I need to do before it can be painted. It isn’t too bad except for this huge dent on the left side.
I do not feel like filling that big ole thing with body filler… So I cut out a square section from the under side of the tank and started hammering and such. Within a few minuets I had this.
Obviously still some work to smooth it out. But nothing like it was before. I welded the square back in place and it is like it never happened. Awesome. Hopefully I’ll have this thing ready for paint in a few short days.
After much indecision about what to do with the exhaust on The Mullet, I decided to stick with the theme and do a twisted take on an under-tail exhaust. Except I wanted more of an IN-tail exhaust. I got lots of 45 and 90 degree bend SS pipes and started mocking something up!
This is what I mean by “in” tail. We’ll see how it turns out.
Here is the rear cylinder completed.
Don’t worry, I slipped these 4″ baffles in each pipe to insure back pressure as well as keeping it at a reasonable tone.
Okay, got them all mocked up. I welded them all together and will wrap them with the best exhaust wrap on the market. The Lava Titanium wrap. it isn’t fiberglass based, it goes on easy, retains its metallic luster, and withstands heat much better. I think it will look killer!
Now I need to fix up the tank for paint.
In keeping with the spirit of this Virago’s oddity. I decided to try out using some white vinyl Sam gave me for the seat. What do you think? (Imagine the sub frame being black…and bike being clean!).
Also got the rearsets all plumbed, feels good to sit on.
I really need to clean this bike up…!
I keep hearing that this bike looks like something out of Mad Max…I disagree! And I’m sure this piece I just made for it won’t help my case…
I took some straight steel stock, like this.
And shaped it into this. Then cut some perforated metal out and welded it in from behind.
Not going to lie…I’m pretty proud of this piece. It took me a good hour and a half to create. But I think it will really tie the bike together.
I had to put this bike on the back burner for about a month to build Misty’s CM200t for Bikes Blues and BBQ. Now that I’ve got that bike done (in record time! I might add) I can re-focus on this sweet adventure bike. So to celebrate Remy’s revival I busted out this intake manifold for it.
I welded it out of some mandrel bent stainless steel. I love this tubing! I just stocked up on it because it welds like a dream and is so well finished. This intake took about 30min. Simply welded 2 90 degree pipes together, holed the center/ side of it and butt welded a 45 degree fish mouth onto it. When I bust out the Caswell for the tank, I’ll dip the intake in it as well to give the manifold a nice, sealed, gas impervious gloss black finish.
There were some clearance issues with the brake caliper and the bolts that hold the disk on. So I got some tapered bolts and a countersink and modified the rotor so they sit flush and its all good to go now!
I also had to modify the caliper mounting bracket to account for the larger disk brake. This meant welding up the lower bolt hole and drilling/ tapping a new one slightly to the side of the original one. Learned a lot through this front end swap! It was very fun.
Lastly I fabricated some wheel spacers, and now she is rolling! Just waiting on the steel braided custom length brake line and master cylinder and she’ll be all set up in the front!