I FINALLY got the front end together and got to see a rolling frame for the first time. This was probably the largest obstacle on this build and with it out of the way, it should move quickly…If it would warm up a bit..
I have to thank Jay for everything on this front end swap. He helped me to machine all the spacers and sleeves and lengthen the stem to fit the longer neck. It took about 4 hours and was an awesome learning experience.
.I realize it may look a little iffy at a glance. But I assure you it is very nicely done and stronger than stock. The extension piece is a part of the stock stem, the bottom and top half are the new stem that I just cut in half, machined the pieces so they press fit together and then welded for double security. Works perfectly!
I picked up the head today too. So if it is decent out tomorrow I’ll start to put the motor back together.
Today at Jay’s we started to fab the triple for the new front end. Such pretty machining!
I spent the day playing with my new sewing machine and this was the result. This was my first attempt. A massive lesson that was perhaps a bit ambitious, I made probably 200 mistakes and had to try everything twice. But my next will be much better. Love doing it! Circles are hard to stitch okay!?
Every few weeks I like to snap a shot of the shop to see all the different bikes that come and go.
It has been a waiting game for parts to arrive. The big bore kit came in, then the new intake valve, so I went to get the head done and the exhaust valve was worn out too so I ordered one and it finally got here. Dropped it all off at the shop to do a valve job including new valves, HD springs, and new valve seal (yes only one…for some reason they designed it that way). Still waiting to get the head back. Then I’ll put it all back together and finish up the motor mounts. In the mean time I polished up the case and will eventually remove the clutch side cover to polish it too. The whole motor will be polished aluminum. Not great pictures and I didn’t get it to be like a perfect mirror, but you can definitely see your reflection in it. Good enough for me 🙂
The rotor puller came in the mail too finally so I’ll pop that off to clean up and inspect the points and advance unit etc.
I know I’ve been slow here the past few weeks. Mostly waiting on parts. I got the new 17″ rim, sent off for the custom spokes and they just arrived yesterday. I immediately assembled the front end. First I loosely lace the wheel, then put it on the truing stand to square it up.
Big difference from the 12″ rim!
With the front end all assembled we have this!
Super excited to be running inverted forks on this bike. Also to have the disk front brake and soon-to-be clipons. Next step is to get really creative to make the steering stem on the new triple fit the original neck and bearings…I will post what I do, it may get a little hairy!
I’m really moving up in the world! I just invested in an amazing industrial walking foot sewing machine so I can do professional level seat upholstery. It is a JUKI DU1181. Just spent the day setting it up and will be making my own seats from now on.