Some before and after pics of a side cover.
I FINALLY got the front end together and got to see a rolling frame for the first time. This was probably the largest obstacle on this build and with it out of the way, it should move quickly…If it would warm up a bit..
I have to thank Jay for everything on this front end swap. He helped me to machine all the spacers and sleeves and lengthen the stem to fit the longer neck. It took about 4 hours and was an awesome learning experience.
.I realize it may look a little iffy at a glance. But I assure you it is very nicely done and stronger than stock. The extension piece is a part of the stock stem, the bottom and top half are the new stem that I just cut in half, machined the pieces so they press fit together and then welded for double security. Works perfectly!
I picked up the head today too. So if it is decent out tomorrow I’ll start to put the motor back together.
It has been a waiting game for parts to arrive. The big bore kit came in, then the new intake valve, so I went to get the head done and the exhaust valve was worn out too so I ordered one and it finally got here. Dropped it all off at the shop to do a valve job including new valves, HD springs, and new valve seal (yes only one…for some reason they designed it that way). Still waiting to get the head back. Then I’ll put it all back together and finish up the motor mounts. In the mean time I polished up the case and will eventually remove the clutch side cover to polish it too. The whole motor will be polished aluminum. Not great pictures and I didn’t get it to be like a perfect mirror, but you can definitely see your reflection in it. Good enough for me 🙂
The rotor puller came in the mail too finally so I’ll pop that off to clean up and inspect the points and advance unit etc.
I know I’ve been slow here the past few weeks. Mostly waiting on parts. I got the new 17″ rim, sent off for the custom spokes and they just arrived yesterday. I immediately assembled the front end. First I loosely lace the wheel, then put it on the truing stand to square it up.
Big difference from the 12″ rim!
With the front end all assembled we have this!
Super excited to be running inverted forks on this bike. Also to have the disk front brake and soon-to-be clipons. Next step is to get really creative to make the steering stem on the new triple fit the original neck and bearings…I will post what I do, it may get a little hairy!
Once I had the motor mounted I wanted to see it slightly mocked up, so I put the tank on and…THE MOTOR IS IN THE WAY! UGH! The tank sat about 6″ off the frame, at about a 45 degree angle up, being pushed away by the tall engine. I totally didn’t even think about that as an issue! Stupid…So I did this.
I’m not proud of it! But I think I have a plan. You’ll see tomorrow. As for now, here is the tank sitting on it now all cut up underneath.
Very compact! Tomorrow’s goals = fix gas tank, and tear down the motor!
Mission success! I got the motor completely mounted in the frame today…Took all day though. Lots of cutting, drilling, and welding. I’m so glad I got a drill press, it makes life SO much easier!
Here are some of my mount welds…
There is a fine line between under and over building stuff like this. One welder quick tip, PREP PREP PREP! The cleaner the metal the cleaner the weld.
Now to work out any kinks I’ve created.
The two cross bars on top (under where the seat would go) and the sides (where a side cover originally was) are all new. I also added some welds to parts that looked under built. This thing is rated at stock 2hp…the new motor will put out about 12 with the big bore…so there is a bit of a difference there!
On a side…or rather…front note, I finally pulled the trigger on the front end! Should be here in 2-3 days! Super can’t wait for that. Tomorrow I hope to have the motor completely mounted, so I can pull it and start the engine tear down.
First thing I did this morning was set the motor in the frame to see if it would even fit. Sure enough it does! And it is pretty easy to line up the sprockets.
Sadly, my theory was wrong that it would be even close to an easy swap though…None of the mounts match up at all.
And I’ll have to fashion a new intake that extends away from the bike to avoid the tank. The clutch stay will require some creativity too.
But it can…and will! Be done. Now I need to reinforce the frame, and start making motor mounts.