So turns out this poor thing has been running stupid rich which has lead to gas in my oil, and some smoking! The culprit was a way-too-thin needle. Here is the new (thicker) and old side-by-side.
That may not look like much but for needle taper that is HUGE! The fact that you can even see a difference in the picture shows how significant it is. So here she is finally tuned up properly and ready to hit the road as my new companion.
So I got the tank finished and clear coated, finished the wiring, and fired it up for the first time! First kick, wicket throttle response and mean sound. I love it! She is smoking a bit for now so hopefully that stops soon or I may have to dig into the valves. 150PSI compression in both cylinders so it can’t be anything too bad!
Upon installing the chain I realized there is a bit of conflict of interest with my battery…Boooo I had to pull the swing arm off, cut up and move the battery around, clean up and re-paint. But an hour later the chain is non-confrontational so I win.
These pics are both before the fix. See how it is bending the chain? That’s gonna be HIGH friction! It’s fixed now…just trust me.
So I painted the swing arm, lower triple, and some motor mounts purple and am in the process of doing them all in sharpie art…so much work! But it will be worth it. Here are some lower triple work-in-progress pics.
Got the bike torn down, frame looped, shaved and sent off for “delta cream” powder coating. Thinking I’ll do the swing purple for a splash of color. Tank will probably be raw metal with “metricmoto1” in purple on the sides. we’ll see…
While waiting for parts I rebuilt the forks with new seals and oil. While they were apart I polished them up, the pic doesn’t really show it that well but this is half done.
They turned out pretty nice I think. I’ve got some nice gators in the mail to finish them up too. The overall look will be polished aluminum (motor, rims, forks, headlight), raw metal (gas tank), cream (frame, motor mounts, swing arm adjusters, upper triple), purple (swing arm, lower triple) black (tail light, fork gators, and clip ons), and brown (leather seat). Hopefully that looks a nice in real life as it sounds in my head!
Lots of elbow grease went into this motor today. Just getting it all cleaned up for the frame that should be back from powder coating on monday. Delta cream…Should be unique. Once the motor is in I’ll of course pull all the covers off and polish them to a nice mirror finish. But that will be another day…Hopefully monday 🙂
The pictures don’t really do justice…and I forgot to get any before. It wasn’t too bad actually, but it’s a lot better now. Can’t wait to polish it all up and make it like new so it will look as well as it will run!