Some before and after pics of a side cover.
It has been a waiting game for parts to arrive. The big bore kit came in, then the new intake valve, so I went to get the head done and the exhaust valve was worn out too so I ordered one and it finally got here. Dropped it all off at the shop to do a valve job including new valves, HD springs, and new valve seal (yes only one…for some reason they designed it that way). Still waiting to get the head back. Then I’ll put it all back together and finish up the motor mounts. In the mean time I polished up the case and will eventually remove the clutch side cover to polish it too. The whole motor will be polished aluminum. Not great pictures and I didn’t get it to be like a perfect mirror, but you can definitely see your reflection in it. Good enough for me 🙂
The rotor puller came in the mail too finally so I’ll pop that off to clean up and inspect the points and advance unit etc.
I know I’ve been slow here the past few weeks. Mostly waiting on parts. I got the new 17″ rim, sent off for the custom spokes and they just arrived yesterday. I immediately assembled the front end. First I loosely lace the wheel, then put it on the truing stand to square it up.
Big difference from the 12″ rim!
With the front end all assembled we have this!
Super excited to be running inverted forks on this bike. Also to have the disk front brake and soon-to-be clipons. Next step is to get really creative to make the steering stem on the new triple fit the original neck and bearings…I will post what I do, it may get a little hairy!
Mission success! I got the motor completely mounted in the frame today…Took all day though. Lots of cutting, drilling, and welding. I’m so glad I got a drill press, it makes life SO much easier!
Here are some of my mount welds…
There is a fine line between under and over building stuff like this. One welder quick tip, PREP PREP PREP! The cleaner the metal the cleaner the weld.
Now to work out any kinks I’ve created.
So after a long hard search…for about 15 minute on craigslist…I found an ’82 Honda XL100s which should be perfect for my purposes. It is the later model with the 2 part cast head, so parts are readily available. The big bonus being that it is a street legal XR100 so it has a lighting coil, which I hope works! So I drove 2 and a half hours to Springfield MO to get the darn thing. Supposedly rebuilt and with great compression. Get there to find out it has zero compression, has never been cracked open, has a cross threaded plug, and exhaust studs broken off. YIKES! I don’t blame Trevor…He didn’t know. Anyway, here is the donor.
But to get it cheaper, since it is a total POS. I just pulled the motor and let him keep the rest.
Tomorrow I’ll try to mount the motor. Hope it goes well! If it does, then I’ll buy this for it.
And be one big step closer to getting this bike completed. This will not be a cheap build…
P.S. Also got the tank, to use on something soon!