I got the TS out today and broke in the motor some more. Maybe one more heat cycle to seat the rings and she’ll be ready for the road! I also finally got the tail light mounted/ wired and license plate on. So it will be my daily until it sells. It sure is a joy to ride! I also put a muffler on the stinger so it doesn’t hurt my ears anymore…it was way too loud before. Pretty proud of the silencer, you can barely even see it.
So I’ve been riding this guy around a little now, breaking it in and working out the kinks. This bike is SUPER loud which I should probably do something about…But what? Anyway, I’m just a tail light away from finished so I thought I’d snap some nice pics while I have the equipment borrowed for a photo shoot. Notice I did this build in less than a month! Woohoo!
Got the seat pan and foam done, Got it all upholstered with black foux leather, white diamond stitch pattern. Love it.
Thought I’d be able to run it but NOOOOO the rotor was missing the woodruff key to hold it in place and therefore time the ignition. While I had that off I noticed a leak from behind the points plate. It was the LH crank seal! When I’d bought the bike the rings were shot and had allowed lots of gas/ oil into the bottom end which was now creeping out this seal.
I got the key and seal from bikebandit.com for about $10 and they arrived 2 days later. Awesome. Took about 3 super easy minutes to swap the seals, put it all back together, timed it, and it fired right up first kick! Sounds like a chainsaw with no muffler…sweeeeeet 🙂
Took it to be featured in an art exhibit. That was super fun!
Still have to wire up the lights, and ride the piss out of it!
After a small brainstorm I came up with this solution to a oil tank since this engine needs the oil injection. I got PVC and caps, JB welded the bottom cap on, paint, sharpie art, clear coat. Drilled holes and JB welded the oil level gauge and drain spout. small breather hole in the removable top and vuala! One 100% unique oil tank.
So for the gas tank, I wanted to do something creative and fun. So I went for the admittedly not original Japanese rising sun design. I’ve never had a bike with it before so it’s new to me! Took some work, sanded to bare metal, bondo on some inperfections, primer/ sand then white base coat, wait a week, sand and one more white coat, wait a week, sand and tape off and red sun coat, wait a week, sand and clear coat. Tada!
To anyone wanting to do good paint jobs. There is no shame in using rattle can if you get quality gas/ oil resistant engine enamel. MOST important is respect the dry times and prep prep prep! The finished product will be smooth and clear and very durable!
The poor bike spent about 2 weeks hanging in the center of my shop like some inconvenient art piece waiting on me to figure out the rear wheel situation.
First thing I did was order a set of new tires. They’re awesome looking, narrow and low profile like a bicycle so it should handle just like one. The rear wheel was a project. I disassembled the stock rear wheel, got the hub on its own. Bought a 99 Suzuki RM125 front wheel (21″) and tore it down for the rim. Sent the specs off to Buchanan spoke & rim in California and they custom made me a set of spokes for the new setup. I painted the spokes black and used my truing stand to spoke and true the new rear wheel. Mounted the tire and got it on the bike as fast as possible. I was so anxious to sit on a rolling bike!
When I picked this poor TS125 up my girlfriend gave me the usual flak. “Why do you buy these pieces of sh*t Taylor! What a waste of money!” I didn’t see a POS. I saw potential.
My inspiration for buying this bike was a good friend’s recent build with an old KDX200. I loved how he spoked a 21″ to the rear and I just had to try it myself. Here is his bike. I did the sharpie art for the front headlight fender 🙂