So this took all day. I had to choose between painting the front black, and re-painting the rear black (because it looked faded) or stripping the rear to bare metal and match the front. The latter sounded easier…Maybe not the case! But there were several reasons for this. The bike doesn’t have much black on it, which is not something I do often, and I love that about it. I don’t want to go blackening up! The only black on this bike will be the frame. All else is raw metal except for the blue tank. Also, bare metal is more durable than paint! And easy to clean. So here we go.
I was just starting to clean it here. Once I cleaned it I painted it with some HARD FU**ING CORE paint stripper. And then scrubbed with a firm tooth brush. Then power washed it. Rinse repeat about 5 times and vuala!
There is a little shield for the final drive gear (you can see in the un-stripped picture) that I still have to paint and re-install. So it will look better when that’s done, and it is mounted so you won’t see that center part.
But it came out looking like new! Here they are together.
If you look close you can tell they aren’t matching spoke patterns. The one flat on the ground is the stock rear. The one leaning up with the front disk is from a Yamaha 600 Radian. It was the only front wheel I could find that had similar spoke pattern AND was the same dimensions as the rear wheel. Since I want matching tires. Now I just have to fab spacers and a caliper bracket and I’ll have a rolling and stopping machine!
So for the gas tank, I wanted to do something creative and fun. So I went for the admittedly not original Japanese rising sun design. I’ve never had a bike with it before so it’s new to me! Took some work, sanded to bare metal, bondo on some inperfections, primer/ sand then white base coat, wait a week, sand and one more white coat, wait a week, sand and tape off and red sun coat, wait a week, sand and clear coat. Tada!
To anyone wanting to do good paint jobs. There is no shame in using rattle can if you get quality gas/ oil resistant engine enamel. MOST important is respect the dry times and prep prep prep! The finished product will be smooth and clear and very durable!
Kevin brought me the tank back today! Cue the pictures:
He mixed red with metallic silver and a touch of black to create a very deep burgundy-maroon. I’m not great with colors or their fancy names, there is probably a name for this exact color but to me it’s just plain perdy.
The bike was so excited it wet the gravel…
Kevin did the 2-tone emblems with a paint brush.
Finally getting there! To do list includes: seat upholstery, tail light mounting, replace pulser, mount carbs, and then bloody well ride!
This one will be short. A few years ago I traded into a 74 CB125s for my ex-girlfriend. It was a little rough, hadn’t been ridden much at all with only 2,500 original miles on it.
This bike was actually my first build, I cleaned the carburetor and did the basic tuning, had Jonathan help me with the valve adjustment and timing since I didn’t have any tools back then. Gave it my first paint job attempt, and vuala!
It needed a bit more foam in the seat…I believe I made the seat pan from part of a traffic sign and stuffed cotton balls in the upholstery for “comfort”…ha..ha.
After I finished it my girlfriend (at the time) let it rot in her garage for over 2 years. Meanwhile, we had broken up and I almost forgot about that poor little bike…UNTIL one day she gave me a call and offered the bike to me. I was SO pleased to get it back! Of course, time was not nice, and the gas rotted through the tank and made about 500 pin holes in it, staining the motor with the dark brown goo that came out of the deceased petcock… But I ordered a new tank, gave the whole thing a better paint job, cleaned it for hours and did the basic work. Next thing you know I’ve got this little PIP as my putt putt for around town.
Did some updates to it like replacing the crazy out-of-date twist throttle that just worked horribly with a CR250 throttle tube/ cable. Now it’s only a 1/4 cable so it feels even zippier! Also geared up the front sprocket one so instead of top cruising at 50 it’ll sit around 55 happily all day. Gotta love PIP, I don’t plan on selling it anytime soon.