So I’ve been riding this guy around a little now, breaking it in and working out the kinks. This bike is SUPER loud which I should probably do something about…But what? Anyway, I’m just a tail light away from finished so I thought I’d snap some nice pics while I have the equipment borrowed for a photo shoot. Notice I did this build in less than a month! Woohoo!
So turns out this poor thing has been running stupid rich which has lead to gas in my oil, and some smoking! The culprit was a way-too-thin needle. Here is the new (thicker) and old side-by-side.
That may not look like much but for needle taper that is HUGE! The fact that you can even see a difference in the picture shows how significant it is. So here she is finally tuned up properly and ready to hit the road as my new companion.
Once I had the motor mounted I wanted to see it slightly mocked up, so I put the tank on and…THE MOTOR IS IN THE WAY! UGH! The tank sat about 6″ off the frame, at about a 45 degree angle up, being pushed away by the tall engine. I totally didn’t even think about that as an issue! Stupid…So I did this.
I’m not proud of it! But I think I have a plan. You’ll see tomorrow. As for now, here is the tank sitting on it now all cut up underneath.
Very compact! Tomorrow’s goals = fix gas tank, and tear down the motor!
Mission success! I got the motor completely mounted in the frame today…Took all day though. Lots of cutting, drilling, and welding. I’m so glad I got a drill press, it makes life SO much easier!
Here are some of my mount welds…
There is a fine line between under and over building stuff like this. One welder quick tip, PREP PREP PREP! The cleaner the metal the cleaner the weld.
Now to work out any kinks I’ve created.
The two cross bars on top (under where the seat would go) and the sides (where a side cover originally was) are all new. I also added some welds to parts that looked under built. This thing is rated at stock 2hp…the new motor will put out about 12 with the big bore…so there is a bit of a difference there!
On a side…or rather…front note, I finally pulled the trigger on the front end! Should be here in 2-3 days! Super can’t wait for that. Tomorrow I hope to have the motor completely mounted, so I can pull it and start the engine tear down.
First thing I did this morning was set the motor in the frame to see if it would even fit. Sure enough it does! And it is pretty easy to line up the sprockets.
Sadly, my theory was wrong that it would be even close to an easy swap though…None of the mounts match up at all.
And I’ll have to fashion a new intake that extends away from the bike to avoid the tank. The clutch stay will require some creativity too.
But it can…and will! Be done. Now I need to reinforce the frame, and start making motor mounts.
So after a long hard search…for about 15 minute on craigslist…I found an ’82 Honda XL100s which should be perfect for my purposes. It is the later model with the 2 part cast head, so parts are readily available. The big bonus being that it is a street legal XR100 so it has a lighting coil, which I hope works! So I drove 2 and a half hours to Springfield MO to get the darn thing. Supposedly rebuilt and with great compression. Get there to find out it has zero compression, has never been cracked open, has a cross threaded plug, and exhaust studs broken off. YIKES! I don’t blame Trevor…He didn’t know. Anyway, here is the donor.
But to get it cheaper, since it is a total POS. I just pulled the motor and let him keep the rest.
Tomorrow I’ll try to mount the motor. Hope it goes well! If it does, then I’ll buy this for it.
And be one big step closer to getting this bike completed. This will not be a cheap build…
P.S. Also got the tank, to use on something soon!