Borrowed some equipment to take some much needed pictures of my latest builds.
She is complete! I’ve been riding her daily for about a month now problem free. Finally got it timed and tuned to perfection, adjusted the valves, fresh oil and she is ready to roll. To recap this build: XS650 front end conversion with rebuilt forks and heavy weight oil, piggy back rear shocks, new tires, brake pads/ shoes, frame and swingarm painted red, flawless polished aluminium gas tank, low rise flat tracker handlebars, over sized TT500 round slide carb, SuperTrapp exhaust, new chain and sprockets, rewired with no battery so the lights run off the magneto (like 4 wires on the whole bike!), 100% custom seat pan/ upholstery, plus a lot I can’t recall right now…
She starts first kick every time and runs like nothing I’ve every had before…Truly an inspiring bike to ride! I’ve always ran ethanol free in her too.
So with the seat complete and the exhaust reconstituted and mounted I took m’lady on her first romp in over 5 years. Boy does she like to move! This bike is a hoot to ride, I can’t wait for the rectifier to arrive so I can wire up the lights and make it a daily for awhile (until it comes time to sell).
Some poopy night time shop pics…
Got my sweet old school muffler in today and it mounted up perfectly but was rather rough around the edges…
So I pulled it all apart (more parts to it than I would have guessed), replaced or painted everything, after a thorough cleaning of course. polished each removable baffle, and reinstalled! Also wrapped the header. Here are some late night poor quality shots for an idea. I’ll take some in the sun tomorrow. You can also take note of my completed seat. Just spent a few hours upholstering it…so hard to do…
Okay so I got anxious and just fabricated an old sheet metal seat pan like I usually do. Maybe my xs650 will get some different material. I managed to use all the original mounting brackets for the new seat so that’s nice, no frame mods or welding/ cutting etc. Just ordered a fresh sheet of closed cell neoprene foam. Went with 1/2″ this time (as opposed to the last 1″ batch). I think I’ll be building some up on the back half to create a bit of a cafe bubble maybe. Also have some neat ideas for the headlight in the mix, waiting on parts in the mail!
Wow, polishing the tank made quite a difference! First I wet sanded it with 1500, then used a high polish aluminum polish and a fabric wheel on a bench grinder. tada!
Also, I got the xt500 running today! Not too long because I haven’t figured out an exhaust situation yet, but it sounded mean and has great throttle response. Today I will be hopefully starting the tear down on my xs650 so check that page out for updates as I finish up the final touches on this xt.
So I’m buttoning it up finally. Got the new chain and sprockets mounted and motor mounts in place etc…
Also got the front brake all hooked up and working swell.
Going to be working on the exhaust tomorrow, and the gas tank…lots of polish!
I’ll have some more updates tomorrow hopefully. I am going to explore some new seat pan materials tomorrow at a friend’s shop. Looking forward to it!
I took the front end off an XS650 to utilize the shorter/ larger diameter forks, disk brake, and 18″ wheel. While I was at it I replaced the triple tree bearings with some tapered bearings from allballs. I had a spare set for a yamaha virago that just happened to fit! yippy!
So this is the donor bike I got for cheap.
This is the poor thing after it got the XT500 front end. Someone actually bought this in the shape you see it in…Couldn’t believe it.
And here she is with the conversion…sadly I had no pics of the bike with the original 21″ front wheel and long dirt bike shocks…darn.