So turns out this poor thing has been running stupid rich which has lead to gas in my oil, and some smoking! The culprit was a way-too-thin needle. Here is the new (thicker) and old side-by-side.
That may not look like much but for needle taper that is HUGE! The fact that you can even see a difference in the picture shows how significant it is. So here she is finally tuned up properly and ready to hit the road as my new companion.
Here is what it took for me to make the foam part of the seat.
I painted the seat pan:
Then I cut and shaped the 1″ firm foam for a base layer. Notice in the center I cut a “v” in the foam and glued it together so it would make the sharp curve and hold in place.
Once that layer cured, I glued a second, softer 1″ layer on top of that, for comfort and to make the seat the desired height. It took lots of delicate angle grinding and shaping to get it just right.
At this point I haven’t decided if I’ll do a fluff layer on top for the pleats. I may just glue strips to the underside of the upholstery and see how that works…but we’ll see.
Rough fit on the bike, just to get an idea. And below you can see the tail light I also installed last night.
Now it’s really taking shape! I have on order 20 new main jets so I can tune the carbs perfectly. Stock main is a #102, I ordered sets of #105, #110, #115, #120, and #140. I’m pretty sure #120 will be the right one but every bike is different. When they come in we’ll see if she runs!
I’m going to my mom’s now to start upholstery.
So I finally pulled the carbs of this puppy for the 4th time to drop the pilot jets one more size. I was able to get the carbs pulled, re-jetted, and back on in 23 minutes. Finally there is no dead spot just off idle.
Thought I’d take a few shots of the battery box and wiring I made.
I love that I was able to mount the fiberglass seat to the original hinges and lock so it still functions like the factory seat did. VERY simple wiring for this bike…awesome.
The title for it came in today, so I’ll probably list it soon. The final thing it needs is new tires, which i’ll get around to eventually.