Here is what it took for me to make the foam part of the seat.
I painted the seat pan:
Then I cut and shaped the 1″ firm foam for a base layer. Notice in the center I cut a “v” in the foam and glued it together so it would make the sharp curve and hold in place.
Once that layer cured, I glued a second, softer 1″ layer on top of that, for comfort and to make the seat the desired height. It took lots of delicate angle grinding and shaping to get it just right.
At this point I haven’t decided if I’ll do a fluff layer on top for the pleats. I may just glue strips to the underside of the upholstery and see how that works…but we’ll see.
Rough fit on the bike, just to get an idea. And below you can see the tail light I also installed last night.
Now it’s really taking shape! I have on order 20 new main jets so I can tune the carbs perfectly. Stock main is a #102, I ordered sets of #105, #110, #115, #120, and #140. I’m pretty sure #120 will be the right one but every bike is different. When they come in we’ll see if she runs!
I’m going to my mom’s now to start upholstery.
So I finished wiring the bike awhile ago but forgot to even check for spark! Or maybe I was subconsciously afraid of what I might find. Sure enough when I turned it over with the plugs out there was nothing. All new NGK D8EA plugs, tried it with four different coils, and two sets of TCI units. So after all that I pretty much have it narrowed down to the pulser, which is not much of a surprise. That’s probably the reason the bike got parked for so many years before I found it anyway.
So here is the culprit! I adjusted the gap on them and was able to get very intermittent spark from one coil…So I’m pretty sure these bad boys need to be replaced. Luckily I have a parts bike in the yard (Arkansas style!) so I don’t have to spend another $100 for this unforeseen set back.
On a brighter note I got my starter button in the mail today and immediately set it up, it’s nice and subtle.
Works great! Once I mount the tail light the wiring will be 100% complete. Oh and replace the silly little pulser…
I finally sat down and finished the wiring, it took me about two hours to do since it was my first time to wire an electronic ignition CB750. I have done a few viragos with EI systems and I can do them pretty quick now. The CB750 was more complicated because it has two separate TCI units. Here is the simplified diagram that I found and used. Gotta love the internets!
I know it looks like a lot of wires but it is really pretty compact since that’s all the wires on the bike, that will all be under the gas tank of course.
I just used one main fuse between the battery and key switch. The master cylinder I installed has a brake light switch built in, so I wired that into the harness so the front brake will trip the brake light instead of the rear. In the past I usually just use the rear switch but it doesn’t look as clean and generally riders use their front brakes more than the rear so it is a bit safer this way.
If you look close you can see that my ground-to-frame is about 2″ long which is awesome 🙂
On an unrelated note, I was walking to go get the mail and as I passed my girlfriend’s parked car something bright white caught my eye below the steering wheel. Upon closer inspection I found this!
Here i’m staying up all night wiring motorcycles and Jazzy is just snoozing in the car! What an easy life.