I was so happy to see that with a little gas my ninjette fired to life without even needing choke! Everything is working properly, 14.5v charging, all lights, electric start, it is perfect! I didn’t have the baffle in on this video so it should sound better soon. Although I was amazed at how not loud it was with the straight pipe. I honestly don’t think I’ll even need to jet it, but only riding will tell.
…Like my IV? Pretty proud of it 🙂
It kicked my arse but turned out in the end!
I finally got around to upholstering the solo seat for the Ninja. I had procrastinated on it as long as possible because I knew it would be hard! Since the tank is coming back from paint tomorrow I was forced to get everything else in line so I spent a few hours and it wasn’t as painfully difficult as I had expected. Here is the final product. Painted/ finished pics to come!
I got the battery box (hidden under the tank nicely) and little perforated trim pieces welded on the Ninja finally. I am going to take some thin steel round stock and finish up the trim, then I can paint the frame back to black. I’ve decided to paint the tank and swing arm a very dark purple or blue. So my next job is to prep the tank…which is going to take a lot of work.
This is still one of my first seats. It was quite a challenge! I cut/ formed the seat pan from scratch, foamed/ shaped the style. Then upholstered it. I feel so accomplished knowing I made this 100% from blank stock materials! Not too shabby eh?
Still have a lot to learn though…And even longer way to go before I can really call myself a seat upholsterer.
So I realize it has been awhile since I started a fresh build. I’m still plowing through the details and on my RD60 (120) build so make sure to keep updated with that. But this Ninja is going to be something very special for me. I’m going to take what I just picked up, a 100% original non-running 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ex250 from scrap, and make it into the first of its kind.
Here is what I am starting with.
Cosmetically it is actually quite nice, almost too nice to alter…but not quite 🙂 So I JUST got this puppy, and immediately tore it down. Found this PERFECT KZ650 tank that fits right up, chopped the sub frame mostly off, and am starting to get an image in my head of what I want to do with this. For now, here is what I have…not much to look at!
So I’ll be gone for a bit, but as SOON as I return you’ll know because I’ll be kicking ass on this little bike.
My second attempt at making my first seat was a bit more successful. But I’m not satisfied yet…
Every few weeks I like to snap a shot of the shop to see all the different bikes that come and go.
It has been a waiting game for parts to arrive. The big bore kit came in, then the new intake valve, so I went to get the head done and the exhaust valve was worn out too so I ordered one and it finally got here. Dropped it all off at the shop to do a valve job including new valves, HD springs, and new valve seal (yes only one…for some reason they designed it that way). Still waiting to get the head back. Then I’ll put it all back together and finish up the motor mounts. In the mean time I polished up the case and will eventually remove the clutch side cover to polish it too. The whole motor will be polished aluminum. Not great pictures and I didn’t get it to be like a perfect mirror, but you can definitely see your reflection in it. Good enough for me 🙂
The rotor puller came in the mail too finally so I’ll pop that off to clean up and inspect the points and advance unit etc.