It has been a waiting game for parts to arrive. The big bore kit came in, then the new intake valve, so I went to get the head done and the exhaust valve was worn out too so I ordered one and it finally got here. Dropped it all off at the shop to do a valve job including new valves, HD springs, and new valve seal (yes only one…for some reason they designed it that way). Still waiting to get the head back. Then I’ll put it all back together and finish up the motor mounts. In the mean time I polished up the case and will eventually remove the clutch side cover to polish it too. The whole motor will be polished aluminum. Not great pictures and I didn’t get it to be like a perfect mirror, but you can definitely see your reflection in it. Good enough for me 🙂
The rotor puller came in the mail too finally so I’ll pop that off to clean up and inspect the points and advance unit etc.
I know I’ve been slow here the past few weeks. Mostly waiting on parts. I got the new 17″ rim, sent off for the custom spokes and they just arrived yesterday. I immediately assembled the front end. First I loosely lace the wheel, then put it on the truing stand to square it up.
Big difference from the 12″ rim!
With the front end all assembled we have this!
Super excited to be running inverted forks on this bike. Also to have the disk front brake and soon-to-be clipons. Next step is to get really creative to make the steering stem on the new triple fit the original neck and bearings…I will post what I do, it may get a little hairy!
So I got the tank finished and clear coated, finished the wiring, and fired it up for the first time! First kick, wicket throttle response and mean sound. I love it! She is smoking a bit for now so hopefully that stops soon or I may have to dig into the valves. 150PSI compression in both cylinders so it can’t be anything too bad!
So for the gas tank, I wanted to do something creative and fun. So I went for the admittedly not original Japanese rising sun design. I’ve never had a bike with it before so it’s new to me! Took some work, sanded to bare metal, bondo on some inperfections, primer/ sand then white base coat, wait a week, sand and one more white coat, wait a week, sand and tape off and red sun coat, wait a week, sand and clear coat. Tada!
To anyone wanting to do good paint jobs. There is no shame in using rattle can if you get quality gas/ oil resistant engine enamel. MOST important is respect the dry times and prep prep prep! The finished product will be smooth and clear and very durable!
She is complete! I’ve been riding her daily for about a month now problem free. Finally got it timed and tuned to perfection, adjusted the valves, fresh oil and she is ready to roll. To recap this build: XS650 front end conversion with rebuilt forks and heavy weight oil, piggy back rear shocks, new tires, brake pads/ shoes, frame and swingarm painted red, flawless polished aluminium gas tank, low rise flat tracker handlebars, over sized TT500 round slide carb, SuperTrapp exhaust, new chain and sprockets, rewired with no battery so the lights run off the magneto (like 4 wires on the whole bike!), 100% custom seat pan/ upholstery, plus a lot I can’t recall right now…
She starts first kick every time and runs like nothing I’ve every had before…Truly an inspiring bike to ride! I’ve always ran ethanol free in her too.