Here is what it took for me to make the foam part of the seat.
I painted the seat pan:
Then I cut and shaped the 1″ firm foam for a base layer. Notice in the center I cut a “v” in the foam and glued it together so it would make the sharp curve and hold in place.
Once that layer cured, I glued a second, softer 1″ layer on top of that, for comfort and to make the seat the desired height. It took lots of delicate angle grinding and shaping to get it just right.
At this point I haven’t decided if I’ll do a fluff layer on top for the pleats. I may just glue strips to the underside of the upholstery and see how that works…but we’ll see.
Rough fit on the bike, just to get an idea. And below you can see the tail light I also installed last night.
Now it’s really taking shape! I have on order 20 new main jets so I can tune the carbs perfectly. Stock main is a #102, I ordered sets of #105, #110, #115, #120, and #140. I’m pretty sure #120 will be the right one but every bike is different. When they come in we’ll see if she runs!
I’m going to my mom’s now to start upholstery.