Mission success! I got the motor completely mounted in the frame today…Took all day though. Lots of cutting, drilling, and welding. I’m so glad I got a drill press, it makes life SO much easier!
Here are some of my mount welds…
There is a fine line between under and over building stuff like this. One welder quick tip, PREP PREP PREP! The cleaner the metal the cleaner the weld.
Now to work out any kinks I’ve created.
So I de-tabbed and reinforced the frame.
The two cross bars on top (under where the seat would go) and the sides (where a side cover originally was) are all new. I also added some welds to parts that looked under built. This thing is rated at stock 2hp…the new motor will put out about 12 with the big bore…so there is a bit of a difference there!
On a side…or rather…front note, I finally pulled the trigger on the front end! Should be here in 2-3 days! Super can’t wait for that. Tomorrow I hope to have the motor completely mounted, so I can pull it and start the engine tear down.
First thing I did this morning was set the motor in the frame to see if it would even fit. Sure enough it does! And it is pretty easy to line up the sprockets.
Sadly, my theory was wrong that it would be even close to an easy swap though…None of the mounts match up at all.
And I’ll have to fashion a new intake that extends away from the bike to avoid the tank. The clutch stay will require some creativity too.
But it can…and will! Be done. Now I need to reinforce the frame, and start making motor mounts.
So after a long hard search…for about 15 minute on craigslist…I found an ’82 Honda XL100s which should be perfect for my purposes. It is the later model with the 2 part cast head, so parts are readily available. The big bonus being that it is a street legal XR100 so it has a lighting coil, which I hope works! So I drove 2 and a half hours to Springfield MO to get the darn thing. Supposedly rebuilt and with great compression. Get there to find out it has zero compression, has never been cracked open, has a cross threaded plug, and exhaust studs broken off. YIKES! I don’t blame Trevor…He didn’t know. Anyway, here is the donor.
But to get it cheaper, since it is a total POS. I just pulled the motor and let him keep the rest.
Tomorrow I’ll try to mount the motor. Hope it goes well! If it does, then I’ll buy this for it.
And be one big step closer to getting this bike completed. This will not be a cheap build…
P.S. Also got the tank, to use on something soon!
ADVICE WANTED! I can’t decide what to do for the power plant on this mofo… I have sooooo many options and they all have their ups and downs.
2. YSR50 motor I have…probably too slow…
3. XR/CRF100, now we are talkin’. Only thing is I don’t know if I should feel bad putting a 4 stroke in this build…
4. YZ80, or similar. This would be awesome, however lighting would be an obstacle, and since I want this to be one of my personal keepers…I’m not sure I want a race 2-stroke in it. But then again, maybe I do?
So those are basically the options I’m considering. I can’t decide…any ideas?
Once I got a video of the motor running for sale purposes, I started the tear down. This little guy is getting some kind of gold color powder coating to accent the green tank/ seat cowl.
By the way, if anyone reading this wants any of the spare parts (I’m really only keeping frame/ swingarm/ tank/ seat) message me and I’ll send them to you for dirt cheap. Otherwise they’ll probably get recycled or thrown away.
NOW IT GETS INTERESTING!
This bike will be my first USD front end swap. That means “upside down forks” and they are generally superior not to mention WAY cool looking. I found this whole front end kit for a pit bike which just happened to be the exact same length as the stock forks so it should be perfect!
So now I’ll have USD forks with a disk front brake. SCORE! I’ll have to press the stock neck stem into the new triple, and lace a 17″ rim to the hub (which comes with a 12″ laced). Then should be good to go!
Already started to remove the old stem…going to need it pressed out.
Just picked up this little Yamaha RD60 which I didn’t even know existed until i found this one. Believe it or not I even got it running. But I am going to tear it down completely and do a full frame up. With a motor swap from either a YSR50, DT100, or XR100…I CAN’T DECIDE!
Time to research and learn about this thing and my options.