Okay so I got anxious and just fabricated an old sheet metal seat pan like I usually do. Maybe my xs650 will get some different material. I managed to use all the original mounting brackets for the new seat so that’s nice, no frame mods or welding/ cutting etc. Just ordered a fresh sheet of closed cell neoprene foam. Went with 1/2″ this time (as opposed to the last 1″ batch). I think I’ll be building some up on the back half to create a bit of a cafe bubble maybe. Also have some neat ideas for the headlight in the mix, waiting on parts in the mail!
Wow, polishing the tank made quite a difference! First I wet sanded it with 1500, then used a high polish aluminum polish and a fabric wheel on a bench grinder. tada!
Also, I got the xt500 running today! Not too long because I haven’t figured out an exhaust situation yet, but it sounded mean and has great throttle response. Today I will be hopefully starting the tear down on my xs650 so check that page out for updates as I finish up the final touches on this xt.