It’s about time I got on to the seat pan. First I pulled out my huge sheet of 18G sheet metal, measured generously the length and width of the bike where the seat will go, and loosely marked it off on the pan.
Then it was time to crank my headphones and cut it all up…And yes, I was angle grinding with my right hand while taking this picture with my left…I wouldn’t recommend this!
Before I started to cut it down to size, I shaped the metal to fit the curves of the frame, this took about 15 minutes of going back and forth from the bike to the garage floor.
Now that the seat pan has been formed, I can start to shave it down to the right dimensions.
Cut trim snip, another 20 minutes of loud noises and tinkering. But it payed off! Just under an hour of work and I have a nicely formed, light, custom seat pan ready to glue some foam to. The little square i cut in it is for the positive terminal on the battery. Due to the close proximity of the battery to the seat pan i didn’t want to risk a short so I cut that area out and the seat foam will be all that ever makes contact.
I still need to weld some short bolts to the under side to go with the mounting brackets I made on the frame. I will also drill several holes for the rivets to hold the upholstery on. The front will get shortened a bit once the gas tank comes back (this weekend) and I know exactly how they are going to interact. But that is all for another time.